Wednesday 5 September 2012

Review - Dallas (Seasons One and Two DVD Boxset)

Tonight's the night.  After a 21 year break, Dallas is back on our screens.

Does this mean we'll finally find out who shot J.R?  Wait...what do you mean we already know that?  *Googles 'who shot J.R'*.  Oh, right...

I, for one, am really looking forward to the new series of Dallas.  The original ran from 1978 until 1991, lasting for 14 seasons and was the most successful show in the history of television.  It followed the exploits of the Ewing family and was filled with underhand dealings, intrigue, backstabbing, feuds (not just within the Ewing family itself but also with the Barnes' and others) and let's not forget the big hair!

I have fond memories of watching Dallas with my mother when I was younger, even when the storylines did get a touch strange (who can forget the notorious 'Bobby Ewing in the shower' or the 'abducted by aliens' storylines?!).  When I heard a new series had been commissioned and due to start this month, I knew straight away I'd be tuning in.

In anticipation of the big night tonight, I was sent the complete first two seasons on DVD by Warner Bros. enabling me to relive my memories and get acquainted with the characters all over again.  And boy, it's certainly reminded me what a rollercoaster sort of life those Ewings lived.

Starting in 1978, before I was even alive, there are obviously certain things that I don't recall (like the origins of the Barnes-Ewing feud or the reasons behind Sue-Ellen's slide into alcoholism and depression) so it's been brilliant to catch-up. 


I've only had two 'problems' watching these first two seasons:
  1. The episodes are recorded on both sides of the discs so you have to turn them over to watch all of the episodes, but you're not told this anywhere. It literally took me about 20 minutes to work out that I needed to turn the first disc over to finish watching season 1! 
  2. It's really whetted my appetite for the 'old' Dallas as well as the 'new'. But, how on earth do I manage to fit in the other 12 seasons before I begin peeking into the lives of the next generation of Ewings tonight??!! 

The new season of Dallas begins on UK television tonight at 9pm, on Channel 5.  I'll definitely be sitting down for this and can't wait to hear the first strains of that theme tune all these years on: Dur dur.  Dur dur.  Dur dur dur dur dur.  Dur dur dur dur dur dur dur.  Dur dur dur dur dur dur dur dur dur dur.  Dur dur dur dur dur dur dur dur.  I know you're singing it with me, it has to be one of the most famous theme tunes on TV.

Oh, and if you're looking to reminisce, you can buy the complete first two seasons on DVD for around £11.95 from Amazon.

Please note: I was sent the DVD boxset of the first two seasons of Dallas for free for the purposes of this review.  All opinions are, as always, 100% honest.

Share this

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...